Moroccan Lamb Tajine in Instant Pot
To clarify, the Moroccan Lamb Tajine aka Moroccan Lamb Tagine has been borrowed from the instapot recipes Booklet, author Laura Pazzaglia. Additionally, there are a few minor changes to the original pressure cooker recipe. Furthermore, this is one of the best Pressure Cook recipes recommended by the official Instant Pot website. Finally, this healthy Moroccan Stew recipe is easily made with instant pot.
Here are a few tips to make a perfect Moroccan Lamb Tagine with apricots and prunes:
- Our recipe includes fruits ONLY (classic version): dried prunes & apricots. Also, we made them softer by soaking them in the hot water for a while and adding them at the end (see our recipe below). People add carrots (for color and texture), squash, potatoes etc. In other words, if you decide to add any vegetables, DO NOT put them in till last part of cooking time as they become very mushy. Anyway, we strongly recommend to prepare siding separately.
- Conflicting spices might spoiled the whole dish. if you really want to have a perfect result, just stick to the ingredients, spices and measurements listed in our recipe. We made this recipe many times and it is a proven golden ratio Moroccan Lamb Tajine with apricots and prunes. Probably the only ingredient that might me reduced a little bit is honey.
- We made it with lamb shoulder and definitely recommend to follow this approach. If you could not find small lamb shanks, you can end up using bone in short ribs instead. It will still work well.
Certainly, it’s up to you what kind of siding to use. Try to serve it with whole wheat couscous. Noodles and rice are good options as well.
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon powder
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs (1 – 1 1/2 kilos) lamb shoulder cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ginger powder
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) almonds, fried
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric powder
- Sesame seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 oz or (300 g) prunes & apricots, soaked
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 onions, roughly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Make your choice based on the budget, number of family members, kitchen size and other relevant considerations.
Here is a quick tip to consider when selecting the size of Instant Pot:
3Qt size – good for 2 people
6Qt size – good for 3-4 people
8Qt size – good for 5-6 people
- Fry almonds on a medium heat (3-5 minutes).
- Mix the ground cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and garlic with olive oil to make a paste, cover the meat with this paste and set aside.
- Put the dried prunes & apricots in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside.
- Select (Sauté) to pre-heat the Instant Pot. When the word “Hot” appears on the display, add 2 swirls of olive oil and onions and let them cook until softened (3 minutes). Remove the onions and set aside. Add the meat and brown on all sides (10 minutes).
- Remove the meat from Instant Pot.
- Then, de-glaze the inner pot with the vegetable stock, ensuring to scrape the bottom well and incorporating any brown bits into the rest of the sauce. Then, add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, meat and onions.
- Close and lock the lid. Select (Pressure Cook) or (Manual) and then adjust the (+) or (-) button to set 35 minutes of pressure cooking time. Turn the steam release handle on the lid to “Sealing” position.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker using Natural Release (turn the steam release handle on the lid to “Venting” position).
- Add salt, pepper, rinsed and drained prunes, apricots and honey. Reduce the liquid by selecting (Sauté) and simmering everything together (5 minutes) on low heat. Fish out the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Sprinkle with fried almonds and sesame seeds and serve.
Nutrition Facts Disclaimer
(Nutriton Facts provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Other Pressure Cook recipes
Certainly, add to Moroccan Lamb Tagine other pressure cooker recipes such as Oatmeal Porridge or Whole Roasted Chicken. For example, all best Pressure Cook recipes for busy families have been thoroughly tested by us. This is to say, we only recommend recipes and kitchen appliances that we use and like. Finally, take a look at our unbiased review of Instant Pot.
althy instapot recipes.